Skip to main content

Castings

A colleague at work used to manage a foundry crew at a huge factory just outside of town.  He mentioned a while back it's being torn down so today I thought I'd go out and see if I could get in.

There was no security at reception but round the back, thanks to local kids, the wire fencing had been pulled down so I could step over it and climb a steep bank and survey the remains of the huge site below. Then get my two cameras out and spend around three hours shootng the detritus of a major local employer.  The remains of long-time heavy industry.

It was some rare intense sunshine and near the end of my shoot I noticed my forearms were looking pretty scorched and raw.  Climbing back out I could see a reservoir nearby and people swimming, I was probably suffering a bit of sunstroke or dehydration but set of with the vague intention of maybe stripping off and jumping in to cool down.

I went for a paddle instead, the air dizzy with pale blue dragonflies.