Skip to main content

What to wear

Part of the motivation to have a dressing-up shoot today was to see what I might wear to the Uncertain States salon opening on Dec 6th.  I'm a bit nervous about it as I'm not particulary relaxed at social occasions but also I want to take the opportunity to go out in something other than regular male clothing.  Which adds additional anxiety and fear is a great inhibitor.  I'll be travelling from South London on public transport and I'm self-conscious most of the time anyway.  Grayson Perry made a valid point a few years ago on some programme he was making that transvestites need to stop making excuses for holding themselves back and blaming 'the world' out there.  It's not as bad as you think it will be.  That inspired me to take the risk a few times - though travelling around dressed up does make you realise hardly any transvestite people do it in the same way you rarely see openly gay couples walking around hand in hand or sharing a kiss.  Most of the time most people prefer to remain low-key in public.  For various reasons.

A year or so ago I spent a couple of days going everywhere in feminine clothes (only a couple of negative responses - men spitting at the ground upon catching sight of me).  I almost started to feel it was  no big deal.  Though sat outside Saatchi's gallery in West London having a sandwich I suddenly thought, hang on how am I going to get home dressed like this? It suddenly seemed an insurmoutable challenge.  The prospect of all that being the transvestite on the bus, on the street, suddenly seemed too much of an ordeal. But there were no jeans or t-shirt in my bag so no avoiding it.  (It turned out to be OK.)


So working on what to wear to the Uncertain States cafe opening night : )