Skip to main content

Studio 2 (someone else's spare bedroom)

It's a bonus to have the use of someone else's spare bedroom when visiting.  Unlike the one I use for dressing up shoots at home which has nothing in it (apart from a wardrobe full of clothes in one corner) this one actually has a bed, useful for sleep but also as a 'stage' for away from home photo-shoots.  There is a tiny mantlepiece by the bed on which I can just balance my digicam, and with the wide angle setting I can get just enough of the room in to use as my performance space.  Using the self-timer and long exposures mean low light is not a problem.

The off-white and tan tones of the wall, the window blind, the bed headboard and the duvet are nicely muted.  It is mostly minimal and yet with enough hints of imperfect reality to be percievable as an authentic space rather than an installed one.