Skip to main content

Park City, Mars

I took 703 photos at a construction site outside town today, I had a feeling none of them were any good when I'd finished, an assumption which has proved to be correct, having just flicked through them.   But having 703 failures is a slightly better feeling than not having made the effort to go.  It was sort of sunny, enough to feel sweaty even though it's October.

I've just noticed a 2nd hand copy for sale of Park City, Lewis Baltz's work that he showed at my college a lifetime ago and which was a revelation in various ways for me.  The book is not in very good condition but it's only a hundred quid (usually fine copies go for several hundred).  I wanted this book so much when I was a student and remember it was fifty quid at the time, which was a lot more than fifty quid is worth now.

After his visit I asked a course lecturer if he had contact details for Baltz and he gave me an address in Sausalito, California.  I never actually got in touch, though.  For a while I did think of writing a letter (pre-internet) to ask him if he'd ever thought of shooting in colour, which was odd as I was aware the work was so perfect in black and white.   But I couldn't think of anything to say which wasn't just stalker fan type I Love You stuff.