Skip to main content

Guido der Werve: Bg7+ (D/61/La/09)

Link here

I don't know if it was some intense dreaming a couple of nights ago shaking up bunches of neurones that had been packed up and left in the attic for four-fifths of my life-time but I'm experiencing a lot of memory churn at the moment.  It's interesting.  Lost little fragments catch the light, reappearing from nowhere, un-thunked about for decades, now as bright and full of clarity as neon sculpture wall art saying this! or that! her! or him! in vibrant  shades of electrically hyper colour.  All new again.  What were they doing all this time?

So,  coming across these 2009 der Werve new topographic style landscape photographs combined with chess games is wonderfully unexpected and funny. He uses a style of photography that was an epiphany to me when I was about 21  - and adds chess - something I was excitedly learning from a library book when I was about 12.  The book's pages were full of position diagrams like these, starting with the simple movements of the pieces and becoming more complex.  That book, its red cover, its weight, the size of it, the feel of the paper, it is real again, as real as if I had just put it down on the table five minutes ago.