Skip to main content

Nuclear bomb dream

Perhaps it was the cold night, the home made soup or the lack of distraction in my life, some nights dreams have become super-real.

I was on a silver, propeller driven American plane carrying a nuclear bomb, like Enola Gay but more modern, belonging more to the present day. The sun was shining, the sky was intensely blue, the bomb was black with a dark gray locking mechanism.  It was about fifteen feet high, suspended, ready to be lowered over the bomb bay to be dropped and to detonate while still thousands of feet above the ground.  I once saw some pygmy hippos at a zoo and instead of them being cute and funny or even interesting I nearly threw up looking at them.  In the dream I felt the same way in the presence of this nuclear bomb.

I found a safe seat higher in the areoplane but just as it was announced that the bomb was moving into position to be dropped (due to a sub-plot of being worried for someone on the plane) I went to a sort of chute directly above the bomb bay and started to make my way down, my hands and feet on the rungs in the tight space.  The bomb was released and the plane pitched momentarily at the loss of weight.  Then silently, it exploded far below, and almost immediately a pulse of electro-magnetic energy or radiation rippled through the plane.  And, still without the tiniest whisper of the explosion, just the sound of propellors, an intense light welled up, almost too bright to bear, and this silver aeroplane was lifted quickly up and up into the blue sky, like a toy.

I woke up feeling astonished and as if my body was made of lead, immovable.



I had a check up appointment at the dentist this morning.  My usual dentist wasn't there and I was seen by a young guy instead - he was dazzlingly handsome and his face was full of enthusiasm for life, almost too much.