Skip to main content

Specifications of clouds and other ephemeral objects

The sky is stupidly beautiful today, a fine blue with clouds as white as icebergs.  Before breakfast I returned to photograph the building site fence that has preoccupied me for a long time.  As well as a camera I brought along a compass, tape measure and pen and paper to make a few notes, as a Topographic photographer would do.

My original guestimate of about 100m was a bit out, as the fence is actually 325m in length.  It runs in a 220 degrees south-westerly direction, as viewed from the main road  end, towards the canal.  It runs parallel to a ditch (recently busy with dragonflies, sweeping back and forth chasing off white butterflies).  And parallel to this is a narrow strip of grass and a copse of trees and brambles which obscures everything from a golf course.

To prepare for measuring I had taken a sample ten good paces from my camera bag near the start point and was crawling back along the ground with a tape measure to see how far that actually was, just as several early morning golfers appeared heading back to the first tee, having completed an early Sunday morning round.  I guess they probably had the word 'artist' going through their minds-  or something similar - as they watched me diligently at work.





(far corner, end point)