Skip to main content

Definitive



Long, long ago, around the time the dinosaurs roamed the earth and the Egyptians were building the pyramids and all that kind of stuff was going on, I fell in love with an electric guitar in a shop window in Nottingham, where I lived.  A shop on Alfreton Road, I think it was, and I can't remember why I'd be passing that way as it wasn't anywhere near where I lived nor near anywhere I'd usually go. It might have been a second-hand shop or a music shop, and in my memory I passed it several times and always stopped to look at this guitar, despite having zero interest in actually learning to play guitar.  It just looked totally fucking great.

Five million years passed but last weekend I finally, got an electric guitar, one that's as identical to that Nottingham shop window one as I could find, which is still the definitive, signature guitar look as far as I'm concerned, to hang on the wall as a piece of sculpture.  It's a forty year old Japanese built Les Paul copy and it looks like it's overdue a rest.  But maybe one day I'll try and learn to play a bit of  'Pale Blue Eyes', as in the definitive, signature Edwyn Collins Paul Quinn cover of the Velvet Underground song.